04 december, 2008

"Klipp" ur Twilight

Kapitel 13: CONFESSIONS

Det är lördag och solen skiner för ovanlightens skull i Forks. Edward har tagit med Bella till en glänta i en skog för att visa henne varför han inte kan visa sig ute i solljus.

I walked slowly, awestruck, through the grass, swaying flowers, and warm, gilded air. I halfway turned, wanting to sharethis with him, but he wasn´t behind me where I´d thought he´d be. I spun around, searching for him with sudden alarm. Finally I spotted him, still under the dense shade of the canopy at the edge of the hollow, watching me with cautious eyes. Only then I did remember what the beauty of tha medow had driven from my mind - the enigma of Edward and the sun, which he´d promisedto illustrate for me today.
I took a step back toward him, my eyes alight with curiosity. His eyes were wary, reluctant. I smiled encouragingly and beckoned to him with my hand, taking another step back to him. He held up a hand in warning, and I hestitated, rocking back onto my heels.
Edward seemed to take a deep breath, and then he stepped out into the bright glow of the midday sun.

Edward in the sun was shocking. I couldn´t get used to it, though I´d been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday´s hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn´t sleep. A perfect statue, carved in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crystal.

I would have liked to lie back, as he did, and let the sun warm my face. But I stayed curled up, my chin resting on my knees, unwilling to take my eyes off him.
I reached out one fingerand stroked the back of his shimmering hand, where it lay within my reach. I marveled again at the perfect texture, satin smooth, cool as stone. When I lokked up again, his eyes were open, watching me. Butterscotch today, lighter, warmer after hunting. His quick smile turned up the corners of his flawless lips.
"I don´t scare you?" he asked playfully, but I could hear the real curiosity in his soft voice.
"No more than usual."
He smiled wider; his teeth flashed in the sun. I inched closer, stretched out my whole hand now to trace the contours of his forearm with my fingertips. I saw that my fingers trembled, and knew it wouldn´t escape his notice.
"Do you mind?" I asked, for he had closed his eyes again.
"No," he said without opening his eyes. "You can´t imagine how that feels." He sighed.

Inga kommentarer: