04 december, 2008

"Klipp" ur Twilight

Kapitel 14: MIND OVER MATTER

Edward har precis skjutsat hem Bella och hon har bjudit med honom in. Edward och Bella är i köket och Bella värmer något att äta till sig själv.

"You spied on me?" But somehow I couldn´t infuse my voice with the proper outrage. I was flatterd.
He was unrepentant. "What else is there to do at night?"
I concentrated on getting my dinner, taking last night´s lasagna from the fridge, placing a square on a plate, heating it in the microwave. It revolved, filling the kitchen with the smell of tomatoes and oregano. I didn´t take my eyes from the plate of food as I spoke.
"How often?" I asked casually.
"Hmmm?" He sounded as if I had pulled him from some other trail of thought.
I still didn´t turn around. "How often did you come here?"
"I come here almost every night."
I whirled, stunned. "Why?"
"You´re interesting when you sleep." He spoke matter-of-factly. "You talk."
"No!" I gasped, heat flooding my face all the way to my hairline. I gripped the kitchen counter for support. I knew I talked in my sleep, of course; my mother teased me about it. I hadn´t thought it was something I needed to worry about here, though.
His expression shifted instantly to chagrin. "Are you very angry with me?"
"That depends!" I felt and sounded like I´d had the breath knocked out of me.
He waited.
"On?" he urged.
"What you heard!" I wailed.
Instantly, silently, he was at my side, taking my hands carefully in his.
"Don´t be upset!" he pleaded. He dropped his face to the level of my eyes, holding my gaze. I was embarrassed. I tried to look away.
"You miss your mother," he whispered. "You worry about her. And when it rains, the sound makes you restless. You used to talk about home a lot, but it´s less often now. Once you said, 'It´s too green.'" He laughed softly, hoping, I could see, not to offend me further.
"Anything else?" I demanded.
He knew what I was getting at. "You did say my name," he admitted.
I sighed in defeat. "A lot?"
"How much do you mean by 'a lot', exactly?"
"Oh no!" I hung my head.
He pulled me against his chest, softly, naturally.
"Don´t be self-conscious," he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I´m not ashamed of it."
Then we both heard the sound of tires on the brick driveway, saw the headlights flash through the front windows, down the hall to us. I stiffened in his arms.
"Should your father know I´m here?" he asked.
"I´m not sure..." I tried to think it through quickly.
"Another time then..."
And I was alone.
"Edward!" I hissed.
I heard a ghostly chuckle, then nothing else.

Inga kommentarer: